Thursday, September 9, 2010

Refrigerator Staples

My can't-cook-without-'em fridge staples ...

1. Yogurt -- Used in smoothies, quick snacks for the kids, and baked goods.

2. Butter -- I use the real stuff. I haven't bought margarine for years!

3. Milk -- This goes without saying, but I'm a rebel so I said it anyway.

4. Eggs -- Another no-brainer.

5.  Fresh Fruit -- Oldest Girl and The Boy naturally like completely different fruits, so I have to keep a variety. Peaches, kiwi, pineapple, apples, grapes, etc.

6.  Fresh Vegetables -- Baby carrots, celery, green onion, zucchini, green beans and spinach are among our favorites.

7.  Deli Meat -- My sweetie has to take sandwiches for lunch every day, so we always have turkey or chicken from the deli in the fridge. The big kids love turkey sandwiches for lunch now and then, too. And I use ham for a variety of quick lunches for myself.

8.  Sour Cream -- I always use reduced-fat so I can feel virtuous about the fact that I'm eating sour cream. It's great not only as a condiment, but for use in baked goods and casseroles, too.

9.  Yeast -- I buy the kind in the jar, since so many recipes call for varied amounts.

10. Ranch Dressing -- Apparently my children will eat most raw veggies if there's ranch dressing in which they can be dipped.

11. Cheese -- Sharp cheddar is the family favorite, and the kids also love "Monster" (Muenster) and "the cheese with the holes in it" (Swiss). Parmesan is another we can't live without, and I love Havarti.

12. Salsa -- Great as a condiment and for adding flavor to marinades, sauces, and so much more!

1 comment:

  1. For your vegetarian/vegan readers...these will help with 'baking'.
    Butter--Earth balance is fabulous (no dairy or hydrogenated oils)
    Milk--Soy makes a great substitute in all my 'milk' recipes...Coconut is good for 'sweeter' things
    Eggs--Ener-G makes great replacement product for baking
    Sour Cream-Tofutti :)

    ReplyDelete