Friday, September 10, 2010

Cowboy Soup

This is a great hearty soup! I love that the ingredients are things you can keep stored in the pantry all the time. I first had it when my friend Sherri made it for a homeschool get-together.  I'm going to give you the recipe as I've adapted it for my style of cooking.

1/2 pound lean ground beef (I always use 93% lean)
1 green onion, rinsed and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
(*You can substitute a packet of taco seasoning for the previous six ingredients)
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (pureed if you need to trick your kids into eating them)
1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
1 packet Ranch dressing dry seasoning mix (spicy or original)
1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth

Brown ground beef in a stewpot with garlic and onion. Stir in cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper; cook for a minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. And cilantro if you're crazy about it like me.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...substitute Smart Ground for ground beef and veggie broth for beef broth (Better than Bouillion Vegetable for me). I may try this one out! I love easy soups/stews...I'm a crockpot girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could definitely put this in the crockpot! I noticed that it's actually similar to your Vegan Soup.

    ReplyDelete