Saturday, January 28, 2012

Broccoli Rice Casserole

A general rule of thumb to go by when feeding my family is that, with very few exceptions, there must be at least one dissenter to the enjoyment of each item at the table. I've related this weird family quirk to y'all before, and it hasn't changed! I knew when I chose to make Broccoli Rice Casserole (for the first time, I might add!) some of my family wouldn't appreciate it. Out of the six of us - our family plus a good friend - this side dish received 3 thumbs up, one thumb sideways, and 2 thumbs down. I also made Fried Chicken Fingers, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes, and Sweet and Spicy Carrots (in the cookbook).

Broccoli Rice Casserole

1 small head broccoli, trimmed and finely chopped
1 cup dry rice, prepare according to package directions
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 (10-3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
12 butter-flavor crackers (I use Club), crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

In medium-sized bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, soup, sour cream, salt and pepper. Add in rice; mix well. Pour into a greased 9 inch square baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs and butter, then sprinkle over the broccoli-rice mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until crackers are golden-brown and casserole is bubbly.

Tip: Any time I need a smallish amount of crumb topping like this, I use this method: Place crackers in a small zip-top bag. Crush the crackers with the back of a spoon, a measuring cup, whatever's handy. Then pour the melted butter directly into the bag, smushing it all around to coat the crumbs evenly. Then pour the crumbs out over the casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment