Monday, May 23, 2011

Special Salsa

There's something about summer that makes me crave spicy foods - I guess I like my food to be as hot as the weather! It just seems to fit. Anyway, when having lunch with my friend Ashley a few years ago, she served a very tasty salsa and she was kind enough to share the recipe. I believe it actually originated with her brother-in-law. Either way, it's yummy! When they're in season, you can certainly use fresh tomatoes in place of the canned.

2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (drain, save juice)
1 lime, juiced
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1-2 jalapeno peppers (depending on how hot you want it)
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
black pepper
red cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. You can also process to desired “chunkiness”in food processor or blender. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add juice from the tomatoes if you want to thin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment