Saturday, May 14, 2011

French Fries

I know I haven't posted in a while, and I apologize! I've been hard at work on typing up all of my recipes for the actual cookbook that I told y'all about earlier. My personal deadline for turning that in is June 1, so I'm really focused on getting that finished up. On a good note, that means I've been developing lots more recipes and I'm sharing one with you today! 





French Fries

3 potatoes, scrubbed and peeled if desired
Vegetable oil
Ice water
Seasoning Mix
The first step is slicing your potatoes. I cut them in half lengthwise, then cut those pieces in half again lengthwise. Lay the slices out flat and cut into sticks. Soak the potatoes in ice water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry. It's important that they are VERY dry. Water + hot oil = Not Good. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet or fryer to 340°. Fry potatoes in batches until they are just beginning to take on color. Remove and drain on paper towels. Increase heat to 375°. Fry the potatoes a second time until golden brown. The first fry allows the potatoes to cook slowly all the way into the inside. The second fry crisps up the outer skin. Drain on paper towels, season immediately with salt or Seasoning Mix.

Gratuitous close-up.
Seasoning Mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Combine all in a small bowl and sprinkle over hot fries.


No comments:

Post a Comment