Saturday, December 4, 2010

Nutty Green Beans


It seems kind of silly to post a recipe for something like this because "open can; heat contents" is pretty much how I thought  green beans were cooked until I was an adult. Actually, in the South there's one more step: "heat contents until mushy". But, I never knew I liked green beans until I tried making fresh ones! So I submit to you that if you don't think you like green beans, at least try them slightly crisp with a touch of butter. You may change your mind like I did! This is my standard recipe:

Nutty Green Beans
½ pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups beef broth
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon butter
handful of pecans or almonds

Bring broth and green beans to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and boil for five minutes. Drain broth, reserving for another use if desired. Add butter; salt and pepper to taste, and the nuts to your saucepan with the beans. Saute for 4-5 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Obviously, you could use chicken or vegetable broth or even water instead, but I like the rich flavor the beef broth provides. It's the little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment