Friday, December 17, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Being on a diet for the last six weeks has forced me to be very creative with eating! I typically don't eat breakfast first thing in the morning; I prefer to have coffee first, then eat at ten or so. But I have to eat pretty early on this diet, which means being creative for breakfast. I've developed a delicious Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal that's really hearty and satisfying. And I mean really hearty! You may even make this for two, especially if you like bacon or sausage or eggs with your oatmeal. I enjoy it all by itself.

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup water
1/2 apple, diced (no need to peel!)
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (almonds or pecans are my favorites)
a splash of vanilla extract (maybe a 1/4 teaspoon)
a dash of cinnamon (to taste)
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar (to taste)

Combine all but the sweetener in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook at full power for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. Stir in honey or sugar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment