Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles

My Sweetie loves waffles. His favorite are Belgian-style, but these Pumpkin Waffles are pretty high on the list, too. I always make a few changes when I make waffles or pancakes from a basic recipe. I use whole-wheat flour in place of most or all of the all-purpose, I reduce the sugar if necessary, I add in chopped pecans (we're obsessed!), I use buttermilk if I have it, and I sometimes add in fruit flavors like shredded apple, mashed banana, or orange zest. Many recipes would adapt well to hiding veggies, too, by adding in a half to a whole cup of pureed carrots, pumpkin, or other squash, or shredded zucchini or carrots.

Waffles are so easy, too. Just mix up the batter, heat the waffle iron, and every three minutes you have two more beautiful waffles! Or one more, depending on your style of waffle iron. You get the point.

Another thing I love about waffles and pancakes is that they freeze beautifully. Layer them with waxed paper and place in a freezer bag -- then you can pull out just what you need to reheat. I usually do that in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment