Sunday, July 1, 2012

How to Really Help Your Hamburger

When Handsome and I first got married, I made a lot of packaged foods and our pantry was full of cans and boxes. As I grew more confident in the kitchen I made more and more things from scratch using fresh ingredients. Especially during my first pregnancy I determined to increase the nutritional value of our meals with whole grains and more fresh vegetables. Now I can't remember the last time I cracked open a box of Hamburger Helper! Here's my nostalgic homage to those newlywed days.

Ground Beef Stroganoff

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced 1/2 pound 93% lean ground beef
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons flour
1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth 
1 cup frozen peas
8 ounces thin egg noodles
2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or reduced-fat sour cream)

In a large skillet, saute the carrots, onion, and garlic in the butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook and stir until the meat is fully browned. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, paprika and flour. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the beef broth, stirring until the flour is fully incorporated and sauce is smooth. Stir in the noodles and peas. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment