Monday, January 17, 2011

Apple Cobbler

People often ask me where I get my recipes and how I come up with ideas. Well, one of my favorite hobbies is reading cookbooks and cooking magazines.  I actually LIKE waiting in doctors’ offices, as long as there’s an issue of Southern Living lying around!  It’s like any hobby, I guess, you just learn all you can about it.  My sweetie pie teases me about always having to put my own stamp on recipes, and it’s true: I like to take someone else’s good idea and make it even better!  So, as I’m perusing the magazine, I’ll see a recipe and think, “I bet I can substitute …” or “Ooh, that would be good with …”

And that’s just how this recipe came about! I simply took someone else’s topping idea and made my sweetie’s favorite:

Apple Cobbler

2 apples, cored and chopped
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Sprinkle of nutmeg
Splash of lemon juice
Dash of vanilla extract

½ package boxed cake mix
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2 quart slow cooker. Top with cake mix and drizzle with melted butter.  Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4. Yield: 8 small servings

No comments:

Post a Comment