Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sausage & Cheese Muffins


I am not much of a sweet breakfast person ... or a breakfast person in general. A typical breakfast for me is a cup of coffee, followed by a green smoothie a few hours later. But when I do eat, I much prefer something savory, like grits and eggs and/or bacon. One thing I like to do is make a batch of savory muffins to keep in the freezer/fridge. I can pop one in the microwave and in no time at all have a warm breakfast! I really enjoy these Ham and Cheese Corn Muffins, though I modify the recipe a bit, and I recently changed it up by using sausage instead. (Respectable Southern women do NOT put sugar in their cornbread! Bacon fat, yes, sugar, no.)

Sausage & Cheese Muffins

1¼ cups flour
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
⅓ cup canola oil
1 cup cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined (still lots of lumps); fold in sausage, cheese and green onions. Spoon the mixture into greased muffin cups, three-quarters full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Yield: 18 muffins (Store in the refrigerator.)

I reheat these in the microwave for about one minute on 50% power. Your microwave may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment