Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Yogurt

My kids all love yogurt, but I limit the amount they eat simply because it gets expensive. Several weeks ago I found a blog post on how to make yogurt at home in the slow cooker and I have finally accomplished it! It turned out really well. Though it takes time to go through the process, it's not a lot of "hands-on" time and I found it to be pretty simple. I used a half-gallon of organic 1% milk this time, but since it turned out so well, I'll do a full gallon next time. The higher the fat content in your milk, the creamier your yogurt will be, but since I have a toddler with (genetically) high cholesterol we went with the lower fat and it worked just fine.


If you'd like to try it, too, just check out this link!

2 comments:

  1. Did you make it like Greek yogurt, or did you not strain it? The complaint I have heard about homemade yogurt was that it was more runny that store bought. I've not seen a recipe that uses the slow cooker like that--the ones I've seen involve putting jars in a slow cooker, I think...but my brain could be fried and I may not have looked at the recipe correctly. Might have to try this out.

    By the way, S has high cholesterol? Did they find that on a regular bloodtest? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not make it into Greek yogurt, but I will in the future. Otherwise, it is thinner than store bought, for sure. And yes, high cholesterol was found in her two-year check-up. Dad and Stuart both had/have it. I had no idea it could affect toddlers!

    ReplyDelete