Friday, January 5, 2018

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli is one of the few vegetables I like, and so I am always trying to incorporate it into my diet. One version of it I have never liked, though, is broccoli soup. I've attempted to eat it, and I've seen other people eat it, but frankly I just haven't able to get past the smell! So gross.

But today. Today I had no plans for lunch and it's cold outside and soup just sounded like the right thing to make! I decided it was time to conquer a classic and make some broccoli soup I would actually eat. This recipe is super simple and comes together fast - easily ready from start to finish in under 20 minutes! It was very filling and satisfied my craving for a warm, tasty, non-stinky, creamy broccoli soup.

(If you're following a paleo/keto/gluten-free/etc. diet, you can omit the flour altogether for a slightly thinner consistency, or simply replace the flour with a compliant thickener.)


 Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cream or half-and-half
1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the broccoli and onion in butter until beginning to soften, 4-5 minutes. (Season with salt and pepper while cooking.) Add the garlic and crushed red pepper, cook for one more minute. Sprinkle in flour; stir and cook for one more minute. Pour in chicken stock and milk. Continue cooking for 5-6 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly and the broccoli is tender. Using an immersion blender (or transferring to a blender pitcher) blend the soup to your desired consistency. Return to pot if using a standard blender. Stir in cream and cheeses. Heat through and serve! Yield: 2 meal portions, or 4 smaller portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment