Thursday, January 16, 2014

Creamy Asparagus "Orzotto"

So y'all know how I am about easily adaptable recipes. For lunch today I used a variation of my Simple Veggie Orzo. I was in the mood for risotto and I knew this orzo would cook up much faster than rice, with less baby-sitting. This is a slightly less healthy version, but it was totally worth it! It's so easy that my three-year-old helped me make it, and so tasty that she helped me eat it! She loved the "diamonds" (almonds) and "spargasus". This was filling enough to make a nice lunch, but it would work well as a special side dish for salmon or steak in particular.



Creamy Asparagus "Orzotto"

1 cup orzo pasta
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cloves chopped garlic
1 diced green onion
1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 cup chopped asparagus
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup havarti cheese (any cheese that'll be nice and creamy will work)
1/4 cup chopped almonds
Parmesan cheese
(salt and pepper to taste)

Saute the pasta, garlic, green onion and seasoning in olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes, then add in the asparagus. Stir briefly, cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes. The broth will absorb into the pasta, and the asparagus will have steamed to perfectly crisp-tender. To finish, stir in the cream and fold in the havarti. Stir until the cheese is incorporated. Top each serving with the almonds and Parmesan cheese.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment