Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pizza For Lunch

Our normal lunch routine is that I have taught the kids some basic recipes and they make their own lunches. Kaity or I take care of Selah, but the two oldest generally do their own thing. Joe's favorite is to make grits with cheese, or a ham sandwich with yogurt/apple/crackers on the side. Kaity is a bit more creative (and allowed to use the stove!) so she makes PB & J Croissants or angel hair pasta, or yes, even canned pasta once in a while. They also like to do tortilla roll-ups instead of standard sandwiches. But sometimes we have leftovers, or I'll cook something we all like (not easy to find!). Today, I made pizza.

I don't make pizza often because we can get it from a chain restaurant cheaper than I can make it. However, I had all the ingredients today and the kids were bored with their lunch choices. I started with this simple dough. We had leftover spaghetti sauce (made with onion, garlic, green pepper, tomatoes, herbs) complete with beef that I spread over the top of the crust. I topped that layer with chopped fresh spinach, then layered on torn slices of Muenster. Next came a layer of shredded cheddar, then a bit of mozzarella. (It sounds like a lot of cheese, but I only had a little of each.) I also put the last of the deli ham on one part - just for mommy.

After baking it at 400° for about 15 minutes, our lunch was ready! Easy as (pizza) pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment