Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Roast Beef Sammies

I don't know what it is, but I love to dip foods. I like raw veggies in salad dressing, potato chips and french fries in ketchup, and I even dip my Chick-Fil-A sandwiches into their Honey-Roasted BBQ sauce instead of spreading it on the inside. It just stands to reason then that I'd love French dip sandwiches. Here's my version:

Roast Beef Sammies

1/2 recipe pizza dough
1/2 pound roast beef (use more if you like! I'm just cheap.)
3 slices provolone
3 slices Muenster
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil3-4 slices of onion
2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 sprig rosemary
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

In a small sauce pan, saute the onion, pepper, rosemary and garlic in the olive oil until the onion begins to soften. (Sometimes I will saute the roast beef here, too, before I put it on the sandwich. Either way is fine. Remove the beef before adding the vinegar and broth.) Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the broth. Let simmer until you're ready to use it.

Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough into a rectangle about 8 inches by 14 inches. (This is a very crucial measurement because it's the size of my largest cutting board.) Anyway, spread the mustard in the middle third of the dough, top with the cheese slices. Top with the roast beef. Fold in the short ends and then fold the long sides over the filling, pressing to seal. Place the sandwich seam-side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve the sandwich in slices with the broth on the side for dipping.

(Don't have time to make your own dough? Use a refrigerated, canned dough instead!)

No comments:

Post a Comment